Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pricing

If you're anything like me, you think pricing is a bitch (pardon my language). Myself and every other new-to-the-real-world artist I know struggles with this concept beyond belief. What media used, size, how long I worked on a piece...all these are huge factors in how to price a work.

A coworker of mine recently sent me this link. I highly recommend perusing its' contents and seeing what it has to say. It even has a freelance calculator. I've known for a while now that I've been underpricing my works - mostly due to selling them to friends or professors. I know they can't afford much more, but now trying to submit new pieces to galleries I don't want to seem like that chump that doesn't know what their work is worth. This site has helped me figure out what I need to be selling work for and why. I especially liked the bit about charging hourly vs. fixed rate.

Or just email various more experienced friends/coworkers every time you price something...just to make sure you're doing it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment